Scholarships and Student Chapters
VASITE is committed to the advancement of the transportation profession and offers scholarships to students at universities in Virginia that have an active ITE student chapter. The Kenneth M. Wilkinson Scholarship is awarded in October of each year for $1,500 for up to one student at each eligible university. Current eligible universities include the University of Virginia and Virginia Tech. The scholarship funds may be applied only to tuition and other related expenses, directly administered by the university, while continuing formal undergraduate or graduate engineering education.
- A scholarship candidate must be enrolled in an undergraduate accredited civil or transportation engineering program within the Commonwealth of Virginia; or be a graduate of an accredited engineering program and currently enrolled in a master’s degree or Ph.D. program in civil or transportation engineering within the Commonwealth of Virginia for the year following nomination.
- The scholarship candidate must be a Student Member of the Virginia Section of ITE in good standing (membership application may be submitted with scholarship application). The engineering applicant should demonstrate a strong commitment to the discipline of transportation engineering.
- Applications are to be sent via e-mail to VASITE’s current Scholarship Committee Chair, President, or Immediate Past President as soon as possible. See our Board of Directors for current officers.
- Applications must include:
- A statement by the applicant of the reasons believed to justify the award to him or her, specifically including commitment to the profession of transportation engineering, as well as plans for continuing formal education; and
- A verification statement signed by the applicant’s Student Faculty Advisor, other member of the educational institution’s faculty where the student is enrolled, or any member of VASITE in good standing.
- Applications may include a transcript of grades, but an official transcript is not required.
Selection and Award
Selection of the scholarship recipient(s) shall be based on an appraisal of the applicant’s justification for award, educational plans, potential for development within the transportation profession, leadership capacity, and demonstrated civic responsibility.
- The VASITE Scholarship Committee will review all applications for the Kenneth M. Wilkinson Scholarship.
- VASITE’s Scholarship Committee may recommend more than one recipient, or may recommend that no award be made in a particular year, if no meritorious applications are received.
- The total sum for awards available shall not exceed $1,500 per recipient.
- The President of VASITE will notify recipients of their selection in late September or early October of the award year. Award funds will be deposited to the recipient’s account with the business office of the educational institution designated by the recipient in his or her application.
- The Scholarship Committee may give consideration to the applicant’s status as a member of the immediate family of a member or an affiliate member of VASITE in good standing.
There are currently ITE student chapters at Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. Every year those school participate in the ITE International Collegiate Traffic Bowl tournament. The winner from the Virginia Section competes against the other sections at the SDITE Annual Meeting, and the winner from that meeting competes in the finals at the ITE International Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
Interested in bringing a student chapter to your school? Contact Us and we’ll help you get started.